Wildfires are a common in occurrence in Australia. In fact, the country experiences its own wildfire season from April until September and local firefighters are able to effectively handle the situation. However, the devastation and destruction inflicted upon the “Land Down Under” this year has made this annual occurrence more than just a season; it is a crisis. The flames have done more than just burn land. They roared over the entire country obliterating homes, habitats, and most importantly, lives. The wildfires are the largest fires Australia has seen in decades and they are only getting worse. It is taking everything within the country’s arsenal to keep the flames at bay. The people of Australia are in for the firefight of a lifetime.
- Where did you go to college/what is your degree? Oglethorpe University in Brookhaven, Ga. And a B.S. in Biology.
- What made you want to work at Wesleyan? After I interviewed, I wanted to work at Wesleyan because. . . It is the best place to work, I met incredible people, we can worship and talk about God here, I like green and gold, I love biology and environmental science, and the teaching position available was for those courses, It is close to home and It was an answer to a prayer.
- What are three things you can’t live without? God, a planner, and coffee.
- If your life were a movie, what actor would you cast as yourself? My life would not be a movie. It would be a book because some things can’t be captured in movies. Words are more powerful and descriptive. If my life were a book, I would like F. Scott Fitzgerald or King Solomon to write that book.
- What is something you wish you had done in high school?
- If you weren’t a teacher, what would you do? Be a student. I love to learn.
- Where is the coolest place you have ever traveled? Charleston, SC. It was my honeymoon destination. Also, Charleston is beautiful and historic. It’s like traveling back in time with a lot of color.